Advice on Using Overlays for Pod Spec Labelling

Good afternoon all,

Hoping someone here might have advice on a similar scenario. We’re currently using Istio on our AKS Cluster with a Pod Identity binding on our ingress gateways and we’re looking to move this across to using Azure Workload Identity instead.

In the Pod Identity setup, the overlays>patches>path is used as below to add a label to the Pod spec of the gateway Deployment.

overlays:
          - apiVersion: apps/v1
            kind: Deployment
            name: istio-ingressgateway
            patches:
            - path: spec.template.metadata.labels.aadpodidbinding
              value: managed_identity_name_here
            MORE_VALUES_BELOW

This works as expected and we get a label applied to the Pods that are part of the Deployment as aadpodidbinding=managed_identity_name_here.

In order to move to Workload Identity we’re wanting to set this as azure.workload.identity/use=true and therefore edited the config as below:

overlays:
          - apiVersion: apps/v1
            kind: Deployment
            name: istio-ingressgateway
            patches:
            - path: spec.template.metadata.labels.azure.workload.identity/use
              value: true
            MORE_VALUES_BELOW

This doesn’t appear to work at all when then trying to apply the change to the Cluster using Helm. We can see the updated value in the Helm Chart but it never actually reaches the Deployment/Pod.

However, if we use the below it does update the Deployment/Pod:

- path: spec.template.metadata.labels.azure
              value: true

I’ve been looking at the Istio documentation (Ref 1, Ref 2) and I’m guessing I’m just not wrapping my head around something as to how to should format the path for the new label that’s required.

If anyone has any advice or even just knows that we can’t do what we want to this way it’d be greatly appreciated! :grin:

Thanks for taking the time to read my mini essay whatever happens.

Through some further trial and error and looking at the Istio Operator logs I’ve found the answer to this now as below:

- path: spec.template.metadata.labels.azure\.workload\.identity/use
  value: "true"

Any dots after the first value need escaping for the Istio Operator’s RegEx to accept the value and has now successfully labelled the ingress gateway Pod via the Deployment Pod spec:

Labels:           app=istio-ingressgateway
                  azure.workload.identity/use=true

Which is definitely working as expected as the Pods now have the Azure Workload Identity variables injected (AZURE_CLIENT_ID, AZURE_TENANT_ID,AZURE_FEDERATED_TOKEN_FILE,AZURE_AUTHORITY_HOST).

Hope this helps someone else if they encounter similar!