Istio Ingress Gateway is healthy in case of "certificate signed by unknown authority" error

Hello!

We’re using custom, issued by our own CA, certificates in Istio.
During the last certificates changing one of our istio-ingress-gateway pods wasn’t restarted (it must be done for the correct work) due to human error. It led to the error messages in log:
{"level":"error","time":"2021-12-13T13:24:04.890986Z","scope":"xdsproxy","msg":"failed to create upstream grpc client: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = connection error: desc = \"transport: authentication handshake failed: x509: certificate signed by unknown authority\""}

It’s ok and I know how to fix it - just do a restart of this pod and it’s all. But I noticed one interesting moment, the readiness probe of this pod is healthy .
To my mind, it’s not correct behaviour, cause in fact pod can’t produce customer’s traffic.

readinessProbe:
    failureThreshold: 30
    httpGet:
      path: /healthz/ready
      port: 15021
      scheme: HTTP
     initialDelaySeconds: 10
     periodSeconds: 2
     successThreshold: 1
     timeoutSeconds: 1

As a workaround, I wanted to create an alert about such behaviour of istio-ingress-gateway pod, but I didn’t find any istio metrics which can describe that pod isn’t healthy due to “a certificate signed by unknown authority” error.
If I missed smth, could somebody point me out to the right metric?

Version

istioctl version
client version: 1.8.2
control plane version: 1.8.2
data plane version: 1.8.2 (13 proxies)

kubectl version --short
Client Version: v1.16.1
Server Version: v1.16.9

Currently there are no istio metrics on that