AuhorizationPolicy with non `istio-system` workload selector doesn't support `paths`

I have an issue when trying to apply an AuthorizationPolicy with matchLabels for a specific app, and am noticing that the policy doesn’t work if I specify any paths, but it works when applying just to the host.

apiVersion: security.istio.io/v1beta1
kind: AuthorizationPolicy
metadata:
  name: api-ap
spec:
  selector:
    matchLabels:
      app: httpbin
  action: ALLOW 
  rules:
    - source:
        requestPrincipals:
        - example/*
    to:
    - operation:
        hosts:
        - example.com
        methods:
        - GET
        - "/api/*" # api requires jwt token
  - to:
    - operation:
        hosts:
        - example.com
        methods:
        - GET
        paths:
        - "/api/jwks" # want to make this publicly accessible

However when create this AuthorizationPolicy in the istio-system namespace, I am able to use these paths, which when enabling and running logging:

INGRESS_GATEWAY=$(kubectl get pods -l istio=ingressgateway -n istio-system -o jsonpath='{.items[0].metadata.name}') 
kubectl exec $INGRESS_GATEWAY  -c istio-proxy -n istio-system -- curl -X POST "localhost:15000/logging?filter=debug" -s
kubectl logs -f -n istio-system $INGRESS_GATEWAY

I see additional logging for the JWT token which doesn’t appear when not running in istio-system namespace.

2022-10-24T05:33:37.994178Z	debug	envoy filter	AuthenticationFilter::decodeHeaders with config

I have different RequestAuthentication and AuthorizationPolicy that I need to apply depending on the workload for the same host, is this not possible?

I’ve created this as an issue: AuhorizationPolicy with non istio-system match selector doesn't support matching on path operation · Issue #41602 · istio/istio · GitHub