Cross-Cluster DNS Resolution in Split-horizon EDS Not Working

Could really use some support on this as it is not at all clear from the documentation exactly how resolution between services within the split-horizon EDS installation is intended to work. If we have an installation much like the one depicted in the diagram at the top of the help article:

Exactly how would helloworld.sample in cluster 1 resolve some other service (lets say goodbyeworld.sample in cluster 2? From my understanding, when the application attempts to resolve the host, it bubbles up to the kubedns handler for the *.local domain which, thanks to some configuration installed when the Istio chart was applied, is hooked into the EDS and is aware that the service exists in a remote cluster.

It would then respond to the DNS query with the IP of the gateway for cluster 2, no? Please correct me if my understanding is off, we have been trying desperately for many weeks now to get a solid multi-cluster service mesh deployed and have had great difficulty getting clarification on whether some of the more basic use cases are even supported by current releases of Istio.