Egress Gateway: how to deny all MESH_EXTERNAL access in AuthorizaitionPolicy, leaving mesh internal traffic intact

Hey! We have a specific case where we want to control egress traffic on our kubernetes clusters, and we are considering to use Istio for this.

I have configured egress gateway successfully and would like to deploy AutorizationPolicy which would enable me to whitelist specific external endpoints per namespace/workload, however i would like to leave all cluster-internal (mesh internal) traffic intact (i don’t want to define policies for all internal traffic for now).

I am not sure i am doing it right way, but it seems that in AuthorizationPolicy there is no distinction between MESH_EXTERNAL and MESH network, though i am not able to achieve this. Currently i have a default allow-nothing policy:

apiVersion: security.istio.io/v1beta1
kind: AuthorizationPolicy
metadata:
 name: allow-nothing
 namespace: istio-system
spec:
  {}

And then i whitelist external endpoint per workload:

metadata:
  name: external-allow-developers-google-com
spec:
  action: ALLOW
  rules:
    - source:
        namespaces:
        - "sleep"
    to:
    - operation:
        methods: ["GET"]
    when:
    - key: connection.sni
      values: 
      - developers.google.com

However with this approach all mesh internal traffic is being denies also. I was thinking about creating a rule to allow any traffic where SNI is *.svc.cluster.local, however I am pretty sure this will cause issues as probably not all microservices use FQDNs when interacting with internal services:

metadata:
 name: allow-internal
spec:
  action: ALLOW
  rules:
    - source:
        principals: ["*"]
    when:
    - key: connection.sni
      values: 
      - '*.svc.cluster.local'

Is there a straight forward way to allow all mesh internal traffic, while explicitly denying mesh external traffic?

I was also thinking about denying access between any microservice and egress gateway in AuthorizationPolicy, however i am not able to achieve this as i cannot filter that traffic specifically:

metadata:
 name: deny-external
spec:
  action: DENY
  rules:
  - to:
    - operation:
        hosts: ["istio-egress-gateway.istio-system.svc.cluster.local"]
        ports: ["80", "443"]

rules.to.operation.hosts field uses the actual SNI name for destination, and not egress gateway