Getting Istio-Init CRD count only 23 instead of the required 53?


I just followed the helm template install for the new 1.1.5 release (twice) and the CRD count is no longer 53, and is reduced to 23? Is this intended? I found only 23 CustomResourceDefinitions inside the istio-init-crd-10 to 12 manifests.

The CRD count is 53.
I had mistakenly installed using the istio-master cloned from github.

Download the latest release using:
curl -L | ISTIO_VERSION=1.1.5 sh -


if so, this seems a big change, but there is no any mention in the release blog


I installed it exactly as I had installed 1.1.4, according to the provided directions for helm template install. Is there anyone else who has installed 1.1.5 that can confirm the CRD count?


I just installed v1.1.5 (init) for the 3rd time and I am still getting 23 CRD count.


gcloud container clusters create [cluster-name] \
  --enable-autoupgrade \
  --enable-autoscaling \
  --enable-network-policy \
  --cluster-version latest \
  --min-nodes=3 --max-nodes=10 --num-nodes 4 \
  --machine-type=n1-standard-2 \
  --zone us-central1-a \
  --project [project-name]

gcloud container clusters get-credentials [cluster-name] \
    --zone us-central1-a \
    --project [project-name]

kubectl create clusterrolebinding cluster-admin-binding \
    --clusterrole=cluster-admin \
    --user=$(gcloud config get-value core/account)

kubectl create namespace istio-system

helm template $HOME/istio-master/install/kubernetes/helm/istio-init \
    --name istio-init --namespace istio-system | kubectl apply -f -

kubectl get crds | grep '\|' | wc -l

result: 23


FIXED: I had initially downloaded istio-master from the github page, which is linked to from the DOWNLOAD button on homepage.

When installing from istio-master only 23 CRDs are created.

When I used the directions provided on from the docs, I used the download shell script as in the directions:
curl -L | ISTIO_VERSION=1.1.5 sh -

Installing from this release creates all 53 CRDs.

The download button on homepage should probably link to the download documentation page, instead of to the github release to prevent this from happening to people in the future.


I fell into this trap by inadvertently checking out master as well, no need to redownload anything though:

git checkout origin/release-1.1 --track

or to future proof, check for the latest release branch:

$ git branch -a|grep release                                                                                                                            release-1.1 ] 5:06 AM
* release-1.1

and choose the latest release.