Looking at the istio documentation for egress-gateway (sorry I can’t post the link here), it looks like the recipe for directing HTTP(S) traffic through an egress gateway is:
- a service entry for a specific external host (i.e. edition.cnn.com)
- an egress gateway for the service
- a destination rule for traffic routed to the egress gateway
- a virtualservice to direct traffic from the sidecars to the egress gateway, and from the egress gateway to the external service
This is fine when we are only routing for specific external services, as in the example. But what if I have an outbound traffic policy of ALLOW_ANY and want to route all outgoing traffic in a namespace to istio-egressgateway.istio-system.svc.cluster.local? I can’t create a virtualservice with host set to *, this doesn’t work.
* wildcard host * is not allowed for virtual services bound to the mesh gateway
Thanks in advance