Installing Istio

Hi there

I am new to Istio so I thought I should follow the guide below on how to get it installed on my machine:

When I get to the link above where you have to run:
istioctl install --set profile=demo it fails to install all of the resources and outputs this message:

✘ Istiod encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition

Deployment/istio-system/istiod

✘ Egress gateways encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition

Deployment/istio-system/istio-egressgateway

✘ Ingress gateways encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition

Deployment/istio-system/istio-ingressgateway

✘ Addons encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition

The final error:
Error: failed to apply manifests: errors occurred during operation

The k8 context I’m in is ‘minikube’.
When I check out the status for minikube, it is running so I’m not quite sure if it’s an Istio or K8 problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Seems like you have not enough resources. You should start minikube with 16384 MB of memory and 4 CPUs as mentioned here.

1 Like

Hi @Saf1997

I remebered that i had also the same issue when upgrading from istio 1.5 to 1.6.

this is from k8s side. you have to add some extra configuration look this for minikube

it solved my problem on minikube but when i encounter same problem on k8s cluster(local using vagrant). It doen’t solve it yet. i still try it.
btw may be this will help you.

Hi @Shubham

Thanks for the link - will check this out. :slight_smile:

It’s my first time using Istio/K8 so I probably still have a bit to set up in order to get the Istio installation to work.