IP whitelisting in Istio?

Hi! I am trying to set up IP whitelisting per-service, so that certain services will accept traffic only from client IPs on a whitelist. I followed these instructions:

but this only matches against the source.ip, which I believe is that of the ingressgateway and not the client.

I also set pilot.env.PILOT_SIDECAR_USE_REMOTE_ADDRESS=true on my helm install, but I don’t know:

• what header the client’s IP is in
  • how to match it against the whitelist

Little help?

Hi!

There is origin.ip that should be the IP of the client at the ingress.
You may be able to use request.headers[“x-forwarded-for”], but you may need prefix/suffix string matching, since it’s a potentially a long list of IPs.

Yeah, I’m actually investigating using nginx-ingress for my ingress, instead of Istio’s. Now I have two problems!

You can write nginx config to store real client ip in some special header and then read it as request.header["magic-header-or-whatever-you-call-it"].

I don’t think I understand–I just deployed the nginx-ingress and then set an Ingress object to point to a given service with annotations like:

'nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/service-upstream': true,
'nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/upstream-vhost': my-app.my-ns.svc.cluster.local

is there something else I need to do to pass the header into Istio? Is there any documentation you can point me to?