Upgrading from 1.5.x to 1.6.1

Hi,

Pretty new to Istio right here.

May i know if there Is a quick an easy way to upgrade from Istio 1.5.x to 1.6.1?

I believe running istioctl ugpade (from 1.5.x) is not possible if i wanna get into version 1.6 and beyond.

I wouldn’t mind removing, 1.5.x from my cluster, so is there a clean and elegant way for me to remove istio completely from my cluster? Didn’t manage to find any information from the docs…

Hi @robincher
it is possible to to upgrade the istio1.5.x to 1.6.1

see the upgrade notes:

to uninstall the istioctl

May be this will help you

Hi Shubham, Thanks!

The upgrade part i check out, and tried, but seems like i am unable to upgrade directly to 1.60 based on existing profile dump.

I will try reinstalling again with your second link.

Hi

It is working. Which upgade method you try In-Place upgrade or canary upgrade?
Before upgrade (in-place) you have to change the istioctl version(the one you want to install). through which you would create the config using profile dump. and the apply istioctl upgrade -f <demo.yaml> or for default istioctl upgrade.

may be there is a problem in istioctl version.(download the istio you want upgrade to and then change directory for istioctl version)

may be this will help you.

Hi Shubham,

Thanks for the advice. Today i learnt more about how to use istioctl properly. Previously i was still on Istioctl 1.5.4 which was set by default on my $PATH.

All fixed for this question.