Do you know anything about Istiod?

Hi :slight_smile:

Does anybody know what is the status of Istiod? I’ve read some post where was said that control plane components will move into single service. Is that true? :slight_smile:

Right! It’s coming in 1.5. A current deployment of a default config looks like this:

$ kubectl get pods -n istio-system
NAME                                    READY   STATUS    RESTARTS   AGE
istio-ingressgateway-56fcf5cd87-s5j77   1/1     Running   2          3h18m
istio-pilot-6cf77bcb68-s44p7            1/1     Running   2          3h18m
prometheus-65fbb6ff85-hblrx             1/1     Running   1          3h18m

So mixer etc. are now part of pilot? :slight_smile:

All of the components are being moved. Mixerless telemetry v2 has been making progress so that people can start migrating away from mixer, but the old capability of mixer is still present in istiod.

From what I can tell, unless you need to use the Mesh Control Protocol (MCP) in Galley you should be able to just use istiod. Most people don’t have a need.

Mixer is not a part of Pilot, all of the telemetry generation has moved to the proxy entirely. What Jacob said is correct, you should have one deployment unless you are in the 0.1% of users that need MCP

1 Like

Thank you guys for clarification. :slight_smile: Can you share here your source of truth? I couldn’t find much information about istiod. Thx. :slight_smile:

The blog has a link to the Istio design doc about the change:

1 Like

you can refer the this Link(from Istio Community drive):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v8BxI07u-mby5f5rCruwF7odSXgb9G8-C9W5hQtSIAg/edit#heading=h.xw1gqgyqs5b

I don’t have an access. :frowning:

Can you make sure something like this goes into the 1.5 docs? I downloaded the pre-release but the SDS installer profile was removed and there doesn’t seem to be a replacement to do a “full security” mode.

You should login with your gmail id and you will get an access to Community Drive.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/istio-team-drive-access