Error during Installing Istio 1.6.8

Hi all,

I’m currently trying to do a canary upgrade of Istio with the latest release 1.6.8.
The command I’m using is istioctl install -f istio-ingressgateway.yaml --set revision="1_6_8"
Whereas the overlay file istio-ingressgateway.yaml has the following content:
apiVersion: install.istio.io/v1alpha1
kind: IstioOperator
spec:
profile: demo
components:
ingressGateways:
- namespace: istio-system
enabled: true
k8s:
serviceAnnotations:
service.beta.kubernetes.io/aws-load-balancer-type: nlb
service.beta.kubernetes.io/aws-load-balancer-internal: 0.0.0.0/0
service.beta.kubernetes.io/aws-load-balancer-additional-resource-tags: “uai=uai1007324”
hpaSpec:
maxReplicas: 4
minReplicas: 2

I can’t see anything wrong in above yaml, but I keep getting the error message:
Error: failed to apply manifests: could not unmarshal merged YAML: json: cannot unmarshal number into Go value of type string

I have no clue what is going wrong here. Any Idea?

Thanks,
Harald

Hi @harald.niehus

you can try it with –set revision=1-6-8 . AFIK there is a naming limitation.

set revision is supported in 1.6+ not in 1.5

may be this will you.

Hi Shubham,

thanks for your hint. I finally got it to work with --set revision=canary. I assume that was the issue, b/c nothing else changed. Maybe there is a requirement that revision has to start with char rather than num.

Thanks,
Harald

@harald.niehus @Shubham getting same error when tried to do canary model upgarde from 1.7 to 1.8 version

./istioctl8 install --set revision=1-8 --set profile=default -f /home/admin/upgrade/iop.yml

Error: failed to get profile and enabled components: failed to read profile: unknown field “telemetry” in v1alpha1.IstioComponentSetSpec:

Where the /home/admin/upgrade/iop.yml is the exported iop installed-state yaml file from the existing istio version 1.73

kubectl -n istio-system get iop installed-state-install -o yaml > /home/admin/upgrade/iop.yml

After this, I removed the components telemetry and policy copletely form the exported iops-installedstate yaml file and again tried to execute the new controlplane creation command for the canary upgrade. But this time the error is strange.

./istioctl8 install --set revision=1-8 --set profile=default -f /home/admin/upgrade/iop__nopol_notelim.yml

Error: failed to get profile and enabled components: failed to read profile: json: cannot unmarshal string into Go value of type map[string]json.RawMessage: