Google managed istio

Does anyone what version of istio is supported in Google’s managed istio solution.

It seems that Istio version depends to GKE cluster master version. If you cluster is updated to the last version of GKE (1.11.6-gke.6), Istio version should be : 1.0.3-gke.3.
Please take a look at: https://cloud.google.com/istio/docs/istio-on-gke/installing#supported_gke_cluster_versions.
That what I could see also when checking istio config map:

The GKE Istio add-on 1.0.3-gke.3 has some issues, this is what I got so far:

HPA is broken

NAME                   REFERENCE                         TARGETS         MINPODS   MAXPODS   REPLICAS   AGE
istio-egressgateway    Deployment/istio-egressgateway    <unknown>/80%   1         5         1          7d
istio-ingressgateway   Deployment/istio-ingressgateway   <unknown>/80%   1         5         1          7d
istio-pilot            Deployment/istio-pilot            <unknown>/80%   1         5         1          7d
istio-policy           Deployment/istio-policy           <unknown>/80%   1         5         1          7d
istio-telemetry        Deployment/istio-telemetry        <unknown>/80%   1         5         1          7d
the HPA was unable to compute the replica count: missing request for cpu on container
istio-proxy in pod istio-system/istio-ingressgateway-774d77cb7c-slbgv

Istio telemetry is crashing

Stackdriver returned: rpc error: code = InvalidArgument desc = One or more TimeSeries could not be written: The set of resource labels is incomplete. Missing labels: (zone).: timeSeries[65,66]
OpenCensus Stackdriver exporter: failed to upload span: buffer full

Ingress does not preserve client IP

The svc/istio-ingressgateway externalTrafficPolicy: Cluster should be Local but you can’t alter the LoadBalancer definition since GKE will override it.

Egress is blocked

/home/app $ curl -v google.com

< HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
< date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 17:56:02 GMT
< server: envoy
< content-length: 0

Workaround: add service entries for each external address.

It feels that installing manually with helm allows much greater flexibility on not only version choice, but also installation options. I would tend to pass on GKE’s curated version.

I agree. The biggest problem with Google managed Istio is that you can’t upgrade Kubernetes, without Istio being upgraded. Last week we had a 2 hour outage because the ingress couldn’t read the certificates that were installed (it took 2 hours before we found the problem). So we’re going to switch to the helm installed one, we can also go faster upgrading Istio. This gives the following features I really want:

• Enabling multiple gateways (one for interconnect traffic, one for external traffic)
  • SDS (can’t enable this on the Google managed Istio)
  • Separate upgrade cycle
    (probably more, … but this is already enough)
1 Like

PSA, should anyone be tempted to install a managed version of Istio: don’t.
Google directly told our company they have no plan on actually supporting Istio in a cluster. Feature has been in beta for years, and will never be out of beta.

You should install Istio manually in your cluster.