Kubernetes 1.16 - GCP - Istio 1.4.3 Compatibilty

Hello there,

I got an email from Google (attached here) where they are going to upgrade clusters to 1.16.

I’m worried if my actual version 1.4.3 of Istio are totally compatible with 1.16. Because i look a bit the files and i see some:

apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1 -> galley / ingressgateway

And these seems to be stop working.

Anyone knows about it?

Thanks,

What files?

$ grep -rin extensions/v1beta1 -A 2
Binary file bin/istioctl matches
--
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/kiali/templates/ingress.yaml:2:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/kiali/templates/ingress.yaml-3-kind: Ingress
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/kiali/templates/ingress.yaml-4-metadata:
--
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/tracing/templates/ingress.yaml:2:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/tracing/templates/ingress.yaml-3-kind: Ingress
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/tracing/templates/ingress.yaml-4-metadata:
--
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/prometheus/templates/ingress.yaml:2:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/prometheus/templates/ingress.yaml-3-kind: Ingress
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/prometheus/templates/ingress.yaml-4-metadata:
--
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/grafana/templates/ingress.yaml:2:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/grafana/templates/ingress.yaml-3-kind: Ingress
install/kubernetes/helm/istio/charts/grafana/templates/ingress.yaml-4-metadata:
--
install/kubernetes/operator/charts/istio-telemetry/prometheus/templates/ingress.yaml:2:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
install/kubernetes/operator/charts/istio-telemetry/prometheus/templates/ingress.yaml-3-kind: Ingress
install/kubernetes/operator/charts/istio-telemetry/prometheus/templates/ingress.yaml-4-metadata:
--
samples/security/psp/all-pods-psp.yaml:3:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
samples/security/psp/all-pods-psp.yaml-4-kind: PodSecurityPolicy
samples/security/psp/all-pods-psp.yaml-5-metadata:
--
samples/security/psp/citadel-agent-psp.yaml:3:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
samples/security/psp/citadel-agent-psp.yaml-4-kind: PodSecurityPolicy
samples/security/psp/citadel-agent-psp.yaml-5-metadata:
--
samples/bookinfo/platform/kube/bookinfo-ingress.yaml:18:apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
samples/bookinfo/platform/kube/bookinfo-ingress.yaml-19-kind: Ingress
samples/bookinfo/platform/kube/bookinfo-ingress.yaml-20-metadata:

There are no Deployments using extensions/v1beta1, just Ingress, which is not removed.

We have tests that run k8s 1.16 without issues: https://prow.istio.io/job-history/istio-prow/logs/integ-k8s-116_istio_release-1.4_postsubmit

Please note that 1.4 does not “officially” support 1.16 though: https://archive.istio.io/v1.4/docs/setup/platform-setup/. If that worries you, Istio 1.5 does officially support 1.16

Thanks, yes these files.

The email says, “you will no longer be able to use the deprecated API versions” and then below are that one: “Deployments versions extensions/v1beta1” that matches these files and thats why I was worried.

Ill give a try using 1.5 on my test env.

Thanks again

Deployments/extensions/v1beta1 is removed, not Ingress/extensions/v1beta1, if that was not clear. And we do not use Deployments/extensions/v1beta1

Sorry, I understand, anyway i want to try 1.5.

Thanks!