How do I compile from source without getting the wrong Docker Images

I am trying to run Istioctl from source. I clone the repo, checkout the 1.13.1 tag and run make istioctl. Everything compiles correctly but when I try to use it, it is searching for a docker image with dev in the name so I assume it is not in a public repo…

istioctl install --set profile=demo -y
✔ Istio core installed                                                                                                                     
✘ Istiod encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition            
  Deployment/istio-system/istiod (container failed to start: ImagePullBackOff: Back-off pulling image "docker.io/istio/pilot:1.13-dev")
✘ Egress gateways encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition...
  Deployment/istio-system/istio-egressgateway (container failed to start: ContainerCreating: )
✘ Ingress gateways encountered an error: failed to wait for resource: resources not ready after 5m0s: timed out waiting for the condition  
  Deployment/istio-system/istio-ingressgateway (container failed to start: ContainerCreating: )
- Pruning removed resources

What am I missing, do I need to install the docker image locally first or something?

You might try VERSION=1.3.1 make istioctl.

1 Like