Istio operator to watch more namespaces

by default, istio operator watches only istio-system for the istiooperators.install.istio.io CR

$ k -n istio-operator get po -o yaml |grep -A1 WATCH
      - name: WATCH_NAMESPACE
        value: istio-system

How to change it to watch for multiple other namespaces? I tried to change it to default (i want to watch many other namespaces though) but the pod still shows same WATCH_NAMESPACE variable.

istioctl operator init -n default

anyone knows about it?

Was trying to find a solution to this too and it seems like it’s possible to pass a comma-delimited list to watch specific namespace(s) or by leaving it empty to watch all namespaces.

References:

thx, do you know how to pass WATCH_NAMESPACE variable while installing the operator? I couldn’t find that from help. Do I need to set the env variable locally before installing the operator?

istioctl operator init --help
The init subcommand installs the Istio operator controller in the cluster.

Usage:
  istioctl operator init [flags]

Flags:
      --dry-run                      Console/log output only, make no changes.
  -f, --filename string              Path to file containing IstioOperator custom resource
  -h, --help                         help for init
      --hub string                   The hub for the operator controller image (default "docker.io/istio")
      --logtostderr                  Send logs to stderr.
      --operatorNamespace string     The namespace the operator controller is installed into (default "istio-operator")
      --readiness-timeout duration   Maximum seconds to wait for the Istio operator to be ready. The --wait flag must be set for this flag to apply (default 5m0s)
      --tag string                   The tag for the operator controller image (default "1.5.8")
      --verbose                      Verbose output.
  -w, --wait                         Wait, if set will wait until all Pods, Services, and minimum number of Pods of a Deployment are in a ready state before the command exits. It will wait for a maximum duration of --readiness-timeout seconds

Global Flags:
      --context string            The name of the kubeconfig context to use
  -i, --istioNamespace string     Istio system namespace (default "istio-system")
  -c, --kubeconfig string         Kubernetes configuration file
      --log_output_level string   Comma-separated minimum per-scope logging level of messages to output, in the form of <scope>:<level>,<scope>:<level>,... where scope can be one of [ads, all, analysis, attributes, authn, cache, citadelclient, configmapcontroller, default, googleca, grpcAdapter, installer, mcp, model, patch, processing, rbac, resource, sds, secretfetcher, source, stsclient, tpath, translator, util, validation, vault] and level can be one of [debug, info, warn, error, fatal, none] (default "default:info,validation:error,processing:error,source:error,analysis:warn,installer:warn,translator:warn")
  -n, --namespace string          Config namespace

nevermind, i got it working with --istioNamespace argument

$ istioctl --istioNamespace abc,def operator init
Operator controller is already installed in istio-operator namespace, updating.
Using operator Deployment image: docker.io/istio/operator:1.5.8

- Applying manifest for component Operator...
✔ Finished applying manifest for component Operator.
Component Operator installed successfully.

*** Success. ***
$ k -n istio-operator get deploy -o yaml |grep -A 1 ": WATCH" 
          - name: WATCH_NAMESPACE
            value: abc,def

but with -i it doesnt work, looks like some bug

$ istioctl -i abc,def operator init
Error: unknown shorthand flag: 'i' in -i

now another problem is operator doesn’t create any resource for the IstioOperator objects deployed in abc and def namespaces!