Kiali developers here, we would like to get some feedback on a probably little known Kiali feature: its ability to show Envoy metrics. Basically, in addition to all the metrics provided by Istio, Envoy itself exposes a lot of data and Kiali has a dashboard to show some of it via a “monitoringdashboard” custom resource, as documented: https://kiali.io/documentation/runtimes-monitoring/#_envoy
With that, you can track down for instance envoy’s memory footprint (possibly comparing it to application memory footprint). Or pod uptime, or active connections, etc.
Here’s how it looks like:
Today in Kiali, this dashboard is activated either via pods annotations or by customizing the dashboard CR (with
discoverOn field) as explained in doc. But maybe we should make them more visible and opt-out? Please tell us what you think:
- No, keep it unchanged
- Make it more visible, I don’t really care how
- Yes, should be configured via Kiali CR / operator, disabled by default
- Yes, should be configured via Kiali CR / operator, enabled by default
- Yes, keep current config but turn it enabled by default
- I don’t care / no opinion
Also, if you’re interested in Kiali features & evolution, don’t hesitate to take a look & upvote features that you’d like to see.