Readiness Probe With Istio Receiving 503 statuscode

Hello,
Having an issue with Istio readiness probe once the sidecar has been injected into a pod in the mesh. I am using Istio1.4.6. When I describe the pod I see:

Readiness probe failed: HTTP probe failed with statuscode: 503

Is this due to the PodSpec readiness/liveness probe? I read in the documentation that you can instruct the sidecar injection process to automagically rewrite the K8’s pod spec with the following command:

kubectl get cm istio-sidecar-injector -n istio-system -o yaml | sed -e ‘s/“rewriteAppHTTPProbe”:false/“rewriteAppHTTPProbe”:true/’ | kubectl apply -f -

I tried this, but I’m still seeing the statuscode 503 for the readiness probe. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks for your time.

if you’re not seeing the new configuration take effect, you may recreate the pod.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve restarted the pods that I’ve injected with the sidecar. Still seeing the 503 errors. I did a kubectl describe of the istio-sidecar-injector configmap. I’m seeing the following under the template section after running the sed command to change the rewriteAppHTTPProbe value:

rewriteAppHTTPProbe: {{ valueOrDefault .Values.sidecarInjectorWebhook.rewriteAppHTTPProbe false }}
Looks like this is setting the default value to false for the rewriteAppHTTPProbe.

If I look at the injectedAnnotations values I see:
rewriteAppHTTPProbe":true
Is there something else that I’m missing?

Hello did you find the solution to this ?