Integrating Istio with AWS X-ray

I’m trying to integrate Istio with AWS X-Ray. I’ve deployed the AWS Distro for OpenTelemetry Collector: GitHub - aws-observability/aws-otel-collector: AWS Distro for OpenTelemetry Collector (see ADOT Roadmap at https://github.com/orgs/aws-observability/projects/4) for the x-ray exporter.

I was able to make Istio send traces to the collector in zipkin format, but the collector can’t traslate them in x-ray traces. (reference : opentelemetry-collector-contrib/exporter/awsxrayexporter at main · open-telemetry/opentelemetry-collector-contrib · GitHub)

Since from 1.16 Istio should support opentelemetry, I’d like to try to configure istio to send traces to the collector in opentelemetry format. Hovewer I have not found any documentation about this. Can you please provide me an example or how should I change the istio configmap or of which properties of the helm cahrt should I set.

I also found this old Issue about the integration with x-ray: Ability to send traces to AWS X-ray · Issue #36599 · istio/istio · GitHub. But the example provided doesn’t seem to solve the problem. What should I expect If I configure istio to send access logs to the otel collector?

If there is a different approach I can use any suggestion will be appreciated.

1 Like