Scrape with Prometheus Operator (mTLS) results in 503 Service Unavailable

I have a GKE cluster with Istio 1.4 installed and I disabled the Prometheus deploy on manifest to deploy the Prometheus Operator (kube-prometheus) on my own.

So I enabled the sidecar autoinjection and all of my monitoring deployments now have the Envoy sidecar (Grafana, AlertManager, PrometheusOperator, Prometheus, KubeStateMetrics).

I followed the Istio recomendation to enable mTLS globally using MeshPolicy default, and set the DestionationRule for Grafana to be scraped:

apiVersion: "networking.istio.io/v1alpha3"
   kind: "DestinationRule"
    metadata:
      name: "grafana"
      namespace: "monitoring"
    spec:
      host: "grafana.monitoring.svc.cluster.local"
      trafficPolicy:
        portLevelSettings:
        - port:
            number: 3000
          tls:
            mode: ISTIO_MUTUAL

But Prometheus still giving me the error on Grafana target: server returned HTTP status 503 Service Unavailable

I tested with istioctl

istioctl authn tls-check prometheus-k8s-0.monitoring grafana.monitoring.svc.cluster.local

And the output seems to be ok:

HOST:PORT                                     STATUS     SERVER     CLIENT           AUTHN POLICY     DESTINATION RULE
    grafana.monitoring.svc.cluster.local:3000     OK         STRICT     ISTIO_MUTUAL     /default         monitoring/grafana

Does anyone know what’s happening?

Edit

It’s really strange 'cause I deployed the Istio Mesh Monitor and it’s working, is anything related to the namespace?

apiVersion: monitoring.coreos.com/v1
  kind: ServiceMonitor
  metadata:
    labels:
      monitoring: istio-mesh
      release: istio
    name: istio-mesh-monitor
    namespace: istio-system
  spec:
    endpoints:
    - interval: 5s
      port: prometheus
    - interval: 5s
      port: http-monitoring
    namespaceSelector:
      matchNames:
      - istio-system
    selector:
      matchExpressions:
      - key: istio
        operator: In
        values:
        - mixer

Edit 2

I figured out why Prometheus is failing to scrape Grafana: 'cause it’s requesting the metrics endpoint by IP so Envoy don’t know how to operate the requests giving me a 503, anyone knows how to make Envoy accept IP requests? I don’t know if it’s possible to enable this through any Istio resource.

And AlertManager is another problem, I have a service (headless) with 2 separate endpoints pointing to the same location (IP:PORT), it’s something from the Prometheus Operator, but I guess this is simple to solve.

Anyone facing the same issue, just followed these instructions (and disabled the Prometheus deployment sidecar using annotations): https://github.com/istio/istio/issues/7352#issuecomment-439617432

And now everything works fine.

1 Like